#MMN HyracBox is a mobile, portable, RaspberryPi powered offline mini-server for facilitators to use in remote or offline environments where access to both power and internet is challenging.
With HyracBox multiple users can access key #MMN materials, including the full contents of the Field Guides, along with a multitude of further open educational resources (OERs), websites and pieces of training using a standard WiFi connection from any mobile device.
As internet shutdowns, distribution and access to information are often challenging issues in remote areas where technical or formalised education infrastructure may also be lacking, HyracBox presents an opportunity to enhance IT and media literacy skills. Linking these with practical information on migration and education development tools.
HyracBox allows local facilitators to sensitize their communities on information, resources, and opportunities. Essentially a “Hotspot for Change” that can be taken anywhere, project coordinators and partners can also load current news and videos, allowing their trainees in remote areas to download and share this content for free, bringing important media content off-grid.
With minimal cost these resources can then be established in numerous locations across the country to make information on migration, vocational and media literacy work visible and more interactive within a community.
HYRAC OFFLINE APPS
Covid-19 has presented tremendous challenges and disrupted day to day lives in many fields. This has necessitated the need to come up with unique solutions to the problems at hand.
Together with HyracTec we have developed a hyrac offline app to accommodate the needs of Covid related changes in the Field of our work and in order to reach as many people as possible.
These are offline mobile applications that will enable users to access training material, interactive content and diverse information
The content can be accessed using a smartphone without the need of the internet once an app is installed. Users download the app and when opening it for the first time it downloads the content pack from the internet. That’s the only time a user will need an internet connection.
BENEFITS OF HYRAC OFFLINE APPS
- End users/trainees are able to access relevant training material through an app on their mobile phones even when not connected to the internet. Hence poor connectivity won’t frustrate users.
- The mobile Apps can include self-assessments hence increasing the effectiveness of training material.
- Enhance project monitoring and feedback since you can view statistics on App downloads and get reviews from the users on the App or content.
- Users do not need high-end smartphones to install the Apps, any cheap smartphone, which as we know, have flooded the African Market will do the job. This will definitely increase the reach of a project.
- The ability to send push notifications to end-users is an invaluable tool to notify users of the availability of an update to the available content.
Migrant Media Network is a project by r0g_agency funded by the German Foreign Office. It seeks to foster an informed decision-making process regarding migration to Europe by creating awareness on migration issues & social media sensitization.
+49 30 55071900
Knobelsdorffstr. 22 14059 Berlin Germany #MMN is a project funded by the Germany Federal Foreign Office (AA)